- 1 PERFECT HOLIDAY SPECIALS SECTION
- 75% OR MORE OFF BISQUE USE ACRYLIC PAINTS-NO FIRING
- A GREAT FLASH SALE SECTION
- ACRYLIC PAINTS/BISQUE STAINS NO FIRE 4 PLASTERCRAFT/ BISQUE
- Acrylic paint 8 oz size non fired
- Acrylic paint sets nonfired
- Acrylic paints Duncan 2oz stains/paints non fired
- Acrylic paints Duncan ultra metallic 2oz nonfired
- Acrylic paints strip pots 6 colors .75 Fl. Oz. nonfired
- Basecoat/primer for bisque & plastercraft 4oz. & 8oz. nonfired
- Duncan Sparklers BrushOn Glitter nonfired
- Duncan water based antiquing gel nonfired
- Granite stone non fired 4oz. nonfired
- Liquid pearl colors Duncan 1oz nonfired
- Misc. Non fired paint products
- Oil Based Tranlucents Stains 2 oz. non-toxic non fired
- Spray/brush-on glosses/mattes/snow nonfired
- AFRICAN AMERICAN BISQUE & PLASTERCRAFT NEW
- BIRTHDAY PARTY TO GO PLASTERCRAFT OR BISQUE
- BISQUE UNPAINTED CERAMICS-MUGS- PLATES-BOWLS-PLATTERS FIGURINES
- BISQUE UNPAINTED SUPER HEROES & LICENSED ITEMS
- BISQUE TILES UNPAINTED LOW FIRE UNGLAZED/UNPAINTED
- BISQUE UNPAINTED BANKS
- BISQUE UNPAINTED BOXES
- BISQUE UNPAINTED CERAMIC ANGELS/CHERUBS FIRED/NON FIRED
- BISQUE UNPAINTED CERAMIC HANDMADE FLOWERS
- BISQUE UNPAINTED CERAMIC KITS
- BISQUE UNPAINTED CERAMIC STARTER KIT
- BISQUE UNPAINTED CERAMICS ADD-ON'S,MAGNETS, BEADS & PENDANTS
- BISQUE UNPAINTED CERAMICS BY THE CASE
- BISQUE UNPAINTED CERAMICS PENDANTS/BEADS/NECKLACES
- BISQUE UNPAINTED CERAMICS PICTURE FRAMES AND DRAWER KNOBS
- BISQUE UNPAINTED CERAMICS SMALL MISC. ITEMS FOR PARTIES OR FAVORS
- BISQUE UNPAINTED FAIRIES CASTLES GARGOYLS DRAGONS WIZARDS
- BISQUE UNPAINTED FIGURINES/ANIMALS
- BISQUE UNPAINTED FLOWER POTS/VASES
- BISQUE UNPAINTED HALLOWEEN
- BISQUE UNPAINTED KITCHEN UTILITY/TEA POTS/KIDS TEA SETS/MUGS
- BISQUE UNPAINTED MASKS
- BISQUE UNPAINTED MISC. ITEMS
- BISQUE UNPAINTED MUGS/CUPS/WINE GOBLETS
- BISQUE UNPAINTED NATIVITY SETS AND STATUES
- BISQUE UNPAINTED PET BOWLS
- BISQUE UNPAINTED PLATES/BOWLS/PLATTERS
- BISQUE UNPAINTED PLAYFUL COLLECTION
- BISQUE UNPAINTED RELIGIOUS
- BISQUE UNPAINTED SOUTHWEST THEME NEW
- BISQUE UNPAINTED TERRA COTTA LOW FIRE CONE 06
- Glazed ceramics ready for decal use
- WEDDING CAKE TOPPER
- BOOKS ON CERAMIC TOPICS
- BRUSHES-COMPLETE SETS-SINGLE ASSORTED SIZES
- CASTING CERAMIC SUPPLIES MOLDS/SLIP CASTING
- CERAMIC CHRISTMAS TREE PLASTIC COLOR REPLACEMENT LIGHTS BULBS STARS FREE SHIPPING
- CHRISTMAS BISQUE/PLASTERCRAFT
- AFRICAN-AMERICAN BISQUE UNPAINTED CHRISTMAS TREE ORNAMENTS
- AFRICAN-AMERICAN CHRISTMAS TREE UNPAINTED ORNAMENTS PLASTERCRAFT NON FIRED
- CERAMIC BISQUE UNPAINTED FLAT ORNAMENTS
- CHRISTMAS BISQUE
- CHRISTMAS ORNAMENTS UNPAINTED PLASTERCRAFT NONFIRED USE ACRYLIC PAINT CASE OF 24
- CHRISTMAS PLASTERCRAFT
- CHRISTMAS TREE PLASTERCRAFT UNPAINTED ORNAMENTS AT BLOWOUT PRICES NON FIRED
- CHRISTMAS TREE UNPAINTED ORNAMENTS BLOW-OUT FIRABLE BISQUE
- CLAY, LAGUNA FIRED GLAZES
- CONSULTATION ON FIRING, GLAZING, LOADING KILNS & FIRING
- EASTER BISQUE AND PLASTERCRAFT
- GIFT CERTIFICATES-LAST MINUTE AND DONT KNOW WHAT TO GET?
- GLAZES UNDERGLAZES OVERGLAZES DUNCAN MAYCO LAGUNA
- AMACO LOW/HIGH FIRE GLAZES, UNDERGLAZES
- CLEAR LOW FIRE GLOSS GLAZES LEAD FREE
- DUNCAN FIRABLE COLORS UNDERGLAZES, GLAZES, OVERGLAZES
- Art glazes by duncan
- Clear low fire gloss glazes
- Concepts underglaze firable 2 oz & 8 oz
- Courtyard 4oz. has returned with more colors !
- Covercoat underglaze 2oz. & 16 oz. pints in a few colors
- Crackles glazes 4 oz.
- Crystals glazes 4 oz.
- Crystals glazes new and reformulated non toxic 8 oz.
- Duncan SY & specialty products
- Envision Glazes
- EZ stroke underglaze 1 oz.
- French dimensions 1.25oz (puffy
- Overglazes- gold, white gold, mother of pearl
- River rock DISCONTINUED BY DUNCAN
- Sandstar DISCONTINUED BY DUNCAN
- Satin color line
- GARE UNDERGLAZE/ GLAZE/ SPRAY GLOSS/ MATTE SEALERS
- Gare fun strokes
- Gare glazes 4oz.
- Gare spray's for non-fired
- HOBBY COLOROBBIA
- LAGUNA CLAY EM LEAD FREE LOW FIRE GLAZES 16OZ. PINT
- MAYCO FIRABLE COLORS, UNDERGLAZES, GLAZES & KITS LEAD FREE
- Crystalite low fire glaze 4 0z.
- Mayco Classic low fire Crackle glazes 4oz.
- Mayco cobblestone low fire glaze 4 oz.
- Mayco Element low fire glazes 4oz.
- Mayco Misc.
- Stroke& coat wonderglaze speckle underglaze for bisque
- Stroke& coat wonderglaze underglaze for bisque 12 color kits
- Stroke&coat wonderglaze underglaze for bisque 2oz.& 16 oz.
- UNDERGLAZE PENCILS FOR DECORATING ON BISQUE
- HOUSES VILLAGE HOLIDAY HOUSES PLASTERCRAFT ACRYLIC PAINTS SPRAY/BRUSH ON GLAZE (Village holiday houses)
- JUDAICA FIRED/NON FIRED CHANNUKAH, PASSOVER
- KILN SUPPLIES SHELVES,POSTS,STILTS,CONES
- High fire kiln posts for cones 5-10
- Kiln bricks low fire and high fire
- Kiln shelves
- Kiln stilts by the case
- Kiln Stilts individual
- Low fire kiln Posts cones 04 & cooler
- Misc. kiln supplies & parts
- ORTON CONES/BARS/WITNESS CONES PYROMETRIC FOR FIRING A KILN
- Cone holders/Kiln cone supports
- Pyrometric self support cones
- Pyrometric cones large
- Pyrometric small bars
- Pyrometric small Cones
- TILE & BEAD RACKS FOR USE IN A CERAMIC KILN
- KILNS, POTTERY WHEELS, & EQUIPMENT
- PLASTERCRAFT UNPAINTED ITEMS USE ACRYLIC PAINTS
- ACRYLIC PAINT SETS
- PLASERCRAFT KIDS CRAFTS COMPLETE KITS NON-FIRED
- PLASTERCRAFT ANIMALS NON FIRED
- PLASTERCRAFT BIRTHDAY PARTY TO GO IN A BOX
- PLASTERCRAFT EASTER ITEMS NON FIRED
- PLASTERCRAFT FUGURINES NON FIRED
- PLASTERCRAFT HALLOWEEN NON FIRED
- PLASTERCRAFT KIDS NON-FIRED
- PLASTERCRAFT KIDS CRAFTS FIRED/NON FIRED
- PLASTERCRAFT MAGNETS NON FIRED
- PLASTERCRAFT NON FIRED BANKS
- PLASTERCRAFT NON FIRED COMPLETE KITS USE ACRYLIC PAINTS
- Birthday party in a box nonfired
- Dreidel painting kit non fired
- Easter egg kit non fired
- Passover seder plate kit nonfire
- PLASTERCRAFT NONFIRED NATIVITY ITEMS USE ACRYLIC PAINTS
- PLASTERCRAFT PAINTING KITS NON FIRED
- PLASTERCRAFT RELIGIOUS NON FIRED
- PLASTERCRAFT STARTER KIT NON FIRED
- POTTERY TOOLS BY KEMPER 400 TO CHOOSE FROM
- Basic tool kits
- Bats for pottery wheels
- Calipers for measuring
- Clean up tools
- Cutoff needles
- Cutout tools
- Detail carving tools
- Drilling tools for holes
- Fettling knives
- Heavy duty sculpting tools
- Hole cutting tools
- Lace tools
- loop tools
- Misc. pottery toools
- Pallet knives
- Pot lifters
- Ribbon tools
- Saw tools
- Sgraffito tools
- Texturing brushes
- Throwing sticks
- Trimming knives
- Turning tools
- Wire & wood tools
- Wire end tools
- Wood modeling tools
- PUMPKIN CARVING TOOL SETS
- SPONGES & SANDERS FOR CEARAMIC & POTTERY
- SUPPLIES MISC.ITEMS YOU COULDNT FIND ARE HERE
- TILES BISQUE CERAMIC UNPAINTED/UNGLAZED LOW FIRE
- UNDERGLAZE PENCILS FOR BISQUE
Welcome to Ceramic Art Space!
Your Home For Ceramic Supplies and Tips!
Kiln repair now available in So. California area
When is the last time someone serviced your kiln?
You wouldn't do that to your car?
Kilns do need service and repairs!
Keep firing safely!
We now offer full service kiln repair & service in the Southern California area:
To schedule kiln service/repair in So. California, call Chuck's Kiln Service
toll free 1-888-800-KILN
Leave a message if not in, they reply fast, do great work and at a great price!
Tell them you heard about them from www.ceramicartspace.com
For kiln repair outside California, please see list at bottom of this page.
Different types of kilns
Manual Ceramic Kilns are kilns that use a Dawson Kiln Sitter and switches to control the heating of the kiln. When firing ceramic pieces with glaze on them, for example, one would insert onto the two prongs of the kiln sitter a small clay cone that is meant to bend at a certain temperature. The switches would be set to low for an hour, medium for an hour, and then high. When the kiln gets up to the temperature that will bend the cone, the kiln will shut off. Many use the manual kilns exclusively for home use because they are less expensive, and people are always around when a kiln is firing for safety reasons, and because switches are much less expensive to replace than a computer module. Manual Kilns can be used for a variety of purposes including ceramics, glass and metal anealing.
Electronic Kilns are controlled by either a computerized controller or a ramping switch. The computerized models allow you to select precise temperature build up and hold times to closely control your firings. The non-cumputerized ramping switch models allow you to also control these factors, but not as accurately as the computerized modules. Computerized kilns usually cost at least $200 more than the manual models, whereas the ramping switch kilns typically cost only $50-$75 more. The computerized kilns are substantially more expensive to repair if the computer module goes bad (most manufacturers have a 2 year warranty on all electronics). Since most computerized kilns have their curcuitry right next to the kiln, they heat up and can have a shorter life than if the circuitry were away from the kiln in a cool environment. Ramping switches are made for the hot environment and usually do very well. As with the other kilns, automatic kilns can be used for a variety of purposes including ceramics, glass and metal anealing. With an electronic kiln, its like using a microwavwe oven. Computerized is another term for electronic kilns.
Glass Kilns can be either Manual or Automatic. Manual Glass Kilns use a pyrometer and temperature meter to indicate the inside temperature of the kiln. It is up to the person firing the glass to monitor the temperature and time the piece being fired. Automatic Glass Kilns use a computer module to adjust and monitor the kiln temperature and to shut it off according to a program. Other than the above mentioned differences, Glass Kilns are normally smaller than and have an extra heating element in their lids. Glass Kilns are not only used for glass but also ceramics and anealing metal. Automatic kilns are more expensive to own and maintain than manual kilns.
No matter the kiln you choose, never leave a kiln unattended when firing!
Q: How do I fire the kiln to prevent pieces from "exploding"?
Q: What is the best way to load a kiln?
Q: Which type of clay would be good to get started with?
Q: What is a bisque firing?
Q: When can I glaze a clay piece?
Q: Which firing speed should I use?
Now, on with the main question. Over time the temperature probe in a digital kiln (called a thermocouple) will decalibrate. By using at least 1 cone every firing you will be able to keep and eye on the thermocouple. When the cone ceases to bend properly (range: 40<good firing<95 angular degrees) you should replace the thermocouple.
So as you can see utilizing pyrometric cones periodically will keep your kiln firing the way we both intend it to fire.
You're right to have a healthy respect for the temperatures that a kiln reaches. But we can help you understand how the kiln manages that extreme heat and how safe the units are.
Simple & Important safeguards for operating a kiln.
Please read and observe the following safety warnings before operating your kiln:
Install kiln 18" or more from any wall or combustibles.
Fire only on stand or legs furnished.
Never fire hotter than cone 10 or 2350 degrees.
Do not fire hotter than the manufacturer's recommendation for your clay, glazes, or decals, or permanent damage may result to your kiln or ware.
Do not open lid until kiln has cooled.
Before opening lid, turn off all switches, then carefully open lid and test that lid brace is securely engaged before allowing lid to stand freely.
Do not leave kiln unattended while firing.
Never use an extension cord.
Operate kiln only in a well-ventilated room.
Unplug kiln before servicing or cleaning.
Dangerous Voltage - Do not touch heating elements with anything.
Do not touch hot sides of kiln or hot lid. Burns may result.
Never store anything under kiln; never lean objects against kiln.
Do not store or use flammable liquids or sprays in the same room with your kiln.
Do not store or use your kiln outside; keep rain and moisture away from kiln.
Do not use kiln if cord is damaged.
Wall receptacle must not be corroded.
Use kiln only with adequate electrical supply and with the correct voltage, amperage and correct fuse size (not too large or small). Be sure the wire size is large enough (avoid aluminum wiring). Do not use a 208 VAC kiln on 220 VAC.
Kiln must be grounded properly.
Wear goggles when looking thorough peephole.
Wear protective gloves when handling hot peephole plugs.
When firing objects to be used with food and drink, use only supplies tested and labeled "safe" for such purposes.
Avoid breathing fumes from materials being fired.
It is imperative that you read all instructions and follow ALL of the manufacturers instructions and recommendations before operating the kiln.
These are very simple guidelines, there is so much more to know before you are ready to use your kiln.
SAFETY IN CERAMICS
Electric Requirements of Kiln (Volts & Amps)
A Reputable Ceramic Supplier (An Important Choice)
Please check with the individual places for fees and times.
Kiln Repair US, Canada and international.
Please be advised that Ceramicartspace.com does not recommend or endorse any of the named repair services and cannot be held responsible for any of their work; the directory is simply a listing of repair services recommended to us by other clients. Please ask for references when ever hiring a repair contractor.